SEEKING: Part-Time Pastoral Counselor
Chelsea Community Church, a non-denominational Christian, lay-led, small congregation with a strong commitment to inclusivity, is seeking a clergy person or seminarian to serve as our pastoral counselor. Please note that worship is primarily a function of the lay leadership. The pastoral counselor’s focus is on pastoral care and community building.
The work involves approximately five to twelve hours per week of:
- Attending our Sunday services and the hospitality time that follows (beginning at 12 noon, at St. Peter’s Church, 346 W. 20thStreet in Manhattan)
- Being available for pastoral counseling
- Visiting the sick or shut-ins as needed
- Preaching once every six to eight weeks
- Coming to our monthly Board of Trustees meetings (on request)
- Attending a book discussion group before the Sunday Service (optional)
Further duties might be developed in discussion with a candidate, according to the gifts and interests of the applicant.
Our congregation now averages about 20 regular attendees, with a mailing list of over 100 and with special services drawing 75 to 450. Our website address is www.chelseachurch.org.
The stipend is $140 per week for the 46-47 weeks that we have services plus an extra $140 for the month of August when there are no services plus $140 for each occasion of preaching.
Our current Pastoral Counselor is leaving after three and a half years of service because her work in other areas has expanded substantially. Therefore, we would like to begin discussions and interviewing as soon as possible.
To learn more about the congregation or to apply, please contact and/or send a resume to Hilda Regier, chair of the Board of Trustees, at firstname.lastname@example.org or leave a message at 212-886-5463.